Tips/Tricks for Using App-v Integration with XenDesktop 7.0
XenDesktop 7.0 is released and it supports both Apps and Desktop Virtualization. One of the key features of this release is support for Microsoft App-V. As this is the first release for App-V support, here are some tips/things to consider for an easy deployment of App-V 5.0 in a XenDesktop Environment.
- XenDesktop 7.0 supports Server based App-V deployment scenario where Admin uses App-V Publishing Server and Management Server to manage apps.
- Microsoft App-V client does not support more than 5 Publishing Servers. In Citrix Desktop Studio, although the admin can add one Management and one Publishing server through Studio UI, he can also add multiple Publishing Servers using low level SDKs. It is recommended to add only 5 Publishing Servers. Though Studio low level SDKs take more than five Publishing Servers, studio enumerates App-V apps from first 5 Publishing Servers.
- When adding the Management Server and Publishing Server in App-V publishing node, if the test connection fails and App-V Server is up and running, make sure WinRm is up and running.
- Once the Virtual Desktop Agent is installed on Server/Client, make sure CtxAppVCOMAdmin is member of Administrator group. This is required as some of the App-V operations on VDA side need administrator privileges. This is the user account pre-created by Citrix XenDesktop VDA installation. [CTX138057]
- It is recommended to enable SharedContentStoreMode, EnablePackageScripts in App-V configuration on VDA side for better app launch performance.
- Intermittently, End users may face App Launch failures like “App-V Server sync failed.” This happens if LogonRefresh or IntervalRefresh occurs simultaneously on the background (VDA). It is recommended to wait for some time and try again. This should resolve the issue. [CTX138056]
- By Default, XenDesktop 7.0 supports App-V deployment in Application and Desktop and Application Delivery group. To support App-V deployment in Desktops only delivery group, user needs to execute following PowerShell commands.
1. Get-BrokerDesktopGroup #Enumerates all the Desktop Groups at the site level
2. Get-BrokerMachineConfiguration –Name AppV* #Enumerates all AppV Blobs at site level.
3. Add-BrokerMachineConfiguration –Name AppV\XYZ –DesktopGroup UID (UID is got from the output of the first commandlet & AppV\XYZ from the output of the second commandlet)
- Sometimes App-V Application Sessions are not logged off properly when User closes all the applications. To avoid such instances, please add the following keys in server/client VDAs [CTX138138]
On RDS Worker:
Value Name: LogoffCheckSysModules Type: REG_SZ String: AppVStreamingUX.exe,AppVSHNotify.exe
On WS Worker
Value Name: LogoffCheckSysModules Type: REG_SZ String: AppVStreamingUX.exe,AppVSHNotify.exe,PicaUseragent.exe
Tags: App-V Integration